Discover the romantic Lake Garda on your Lake Garda day trip from Milan.
Lake Garda Day Trip From Milan
Lake Garda (Lago di Garda) is the largest of the Italian lakes and perhaps the most scenic. Situated in northern Italy, about halfway between Brescia and Verona, and between Venice and Milan, it’s surrounded by three distinct regions – Lombardy, Trentino Alto-Adige and Veneto.
The lake offers indeed an amazing natural diversity on its backdrop: snow-capped Alpine scenery on the north, with mountains creating its fjord-shape configuration and providing a very mild Mediterranean climate, vine-covered rolling morainic hills on the east and Lombard plains on the west.
Our Lake Garda day trip from Milan will allow you to discover great views, the historic and picturesque villages on the lake’s shores and the fascinating ancient Roman villas, castles and caves surrounding the lake.
You will also understand why the romantic Lake Garda has always attracted poets and politicians, divas and dictators. And why it still attracts 7% of the tourism flows in Italy.
- Lake Garda full day trip from Milan
- Duration: 12 hours
- Departure from your hotel in Milan at 8,00 am. Arrival in hotel in Milan at 8,00 pm
- code: 01313
- Total price € 580,00 for a trip by minivan within 7 people.
- This is a personal trip by private car with driver for one group of clients only.
- Round-trip transport from Milan by luxury minivan (or coach on demand) with air conditioning
- Explore the old port and picturesque village of Desenzano del Garda, which includes a prehistoric settlement part of a UNESCO World Heritage site
- Visit Gardone Riviera and the Vittoriale
- Enjoy the scenic ferry-boat ride through the lake
- Discover Toscolano Maderno, Lazise and Bardolino, beautiful lakefront villages with medieval castles and centres
- Spend an unforgettable and relaxing day in the Lake uniquely mild microclimate
- Taste the diversity of food and wines from the surroundings
After leaving Milan early in the morning and a comfortable two-hour drive by luxury minivan, you will reach Desenzano sul Garda and begin the tour of the lake.
Desenzano, on the southwestern shore of Lake Garda, is a popular holiday destination, known for its great beaches, summer nightlife scene and beautiful views of the Alps. The town was a favorite vacation spot for the Veronese elite in the 1st century, and is home to prehistoric pile-dwelling (stilt house) settlements that are part of a UNESCO World Heritage site.
You will have some free time to explore Desenzano. Perhaps stroll to Piazza Malvezzi or Piazza Matteotti, sip drinks at an open-air cafe or browse shops for Italian wares. And do not forget to admire its old-style villas and the medieval castle.
In your next stop, Gardone Riviera, you will visit the Vittoriale, the bombastic, extravagant and unsettling residence of the poet, soldier, hypochondriac and proto-Fascist Gabriele d’Annunzio (1863–1938).
The house is home to every architectural and decorative excess imaginable and the decor helps shed light on the man, a controversial character and among the best poets of the XXth century.
In the restaurants of the area you will be able to taste food influenced by the Mittleeuropean culture of Veneto, Alpine specialties from Trentino Alto-Adige (such as air-dried ham and Austrian-style carne salada – salted beef), and recipes from the Lombard plains with local olive oil from ancient groves, and enjoy the local white and red wines, among the top wines in the world: Valpolicella, Soave and Bardolino.
In the afternoon, visit Toscolano Maderno, an important historical and economic center of the Riviera dei Limoni e dei Castelli (the Riviera of the Lemon Trees and Castles), dating back to ancient Roman days.
This area is where Italy’s first paper mills originated and that industry is still very active. You can visit the museum on paper mills, or just stroll along the lovely streets and promenade of the town.
From the town’s harbor you will transfer to a ferry-boat to sail along the picturesque coastline dotted with olive trees and old houses, getting a spectacular view of castles, Alps, vineyards, ancient Roman baths and picturesque villages from the water.
Following the boat ride, you will visit Lazise and Bardolino (zone of production of the famous wine Bardolino).
Both of them are of medieval origins, and have a beautiful old town centre with narrow streets, picturesque places, a harbour, villas, numerous restaurants and shops. You will have free time to stroll the streets and visit the quaint shops or cafes.
At the end of your tour, you will be returned to your hotel in Milan.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off in Milan
- Transfers by air-conditioned minivan (or coach on demand)
- Ferry-boat ride through the lake
What’s Not Included
- Tour guide (on demand)
- Gratuities (optional)
- Food and drinks
- Entrance fees to attractions
More info on the Lake Garda day trip: info ticket